Pages

Pain Is Temporary

Pain Is Temporary
Some Inspriation I Found

Monday, September 24, 2012

Tennis Elbow: Can I Lift Weights?

What Is Tennis Elbow?

The Injury:

I've had minor issues with my right elbow off and on for the past several years. I always assumed it was a minor hyper-extension, because it usually only gave me trouble when I was playing basketball. If I warmed up well, I rarely felt pain. Shooting hoops is probably the origin of the injury, as I spent several hours each day playing basketball years ago. It was really all I did.

In recent months, I'd have small amounts of swelling and pain in my elbows, especially my right elbow, while doing triceps lifts. It came on feeling like tightness or tension in my lower triceps, where it reaches the elbow. After lifting, it would be sore for a day or two and I'd be good for the next week. It was never bad enough that I thought something was wrong, just irksome. 

About 10 days ago, however, I did a pretty beast triceps workout where I maxed out the pushdown machine for reps and then did 110lbs on skull-crushers. My elbow felt pretty tight afterwards and, as usual, I thought nothing of it.

A few days later, on Chest & Biceps day, I tried to do my first lift, decline bench press, and couldn't perform my working set safely. The tightness was still there and it was severe enough to feel like I should stop after my first rep. So I listened to my body and stopped, telling myself I'd take a couple days to heal up.

It's now been over a week and I still have soreness while at rest. I can't very well give up lifting, because I'd sacrifice all the progress I've made these past several months. Yet, I need to give my elbows time to heal and figure out how to prevent future problems.

Research Findings:

Since I'm a little nerdy about these types of things, I did a significant amount of research this past week to figure out what's going on with my elbows and how I should treat them moving forward. Currently, I don't have health insurance, so it's important that I treat my body well and problem-solve on my own as best I can.

I started with a symptom-check. I had soreness in my elbow, where the triceps meets the elbow. The hard spot on my elbow was sore when it rested on objects. The pain was exacerbated by elbow flexion and extension.  I couldn't feel any swelling where I felt tight, which was a little surprise. Continued activity made it feel worse and rest made it feel better.

My knee-jerk instinct told me that I had tendonitis in my elbow, which makes sense since it's an overuse injury that is exacerbated by the types of activity I've been engaging in. So I looked it up to confirm. Tendonitis in the elbow is called "Tennis Elbow," because it's common amongst tennis players. The giveaway was that I didn't have any swelling, which typically indicates tennis elbow, rather than something else like a tear or arthritis.

As I researched it, I find a couple of interesting things that convinced me my guess was accurate. For example, the triceps exercises that brought on the pain were all lifts that require wrist stabilization; in this case, triceps push-downs and skull-crushers. Both require a really strong grip and stabilization of the wrist to be performed properly, which is why they are the lifts that have been giving me the most trouble over these past several months. Other lifts like bench presses didn't typically cause any trouble, because I didn't have to flex my wrist. Typically, pain is more severe in lifts where my palm is flexed downward, a classic tennis elbow symptom.

Also, the lack of swelling and location of the pain is atypical for bursitis, so I ruled that out. Bursitis is one of the conditions that's most often mistaken for tennis elbow. 

Finally, tennis elbow is more common amongst people with rotator cuff issues, which I've had problems with for years now. It all made sense.

What Is Tennis Elbow?

Tennis Elbow is tendonitis in the elbow. In short, it's an inflammation of the elbow tendons caused by micro-tears on the tendon that connects the muscle to the bone. There is little consensus about the initial cause, since a majority of cases are overuse, but some cases are brought on suddenly through excessive exertion.

When To Visit The Doctor

It's advised that you seek medical attention if pain becomes severe enough to limit daily activities, persists with rest, or causes numbness or weakness in the hand. Since I have none of these issues and am confident in my self-diagnosis, I'll move forward by examining the treatment strategies. 

Treating Tennis Elbow

How Is Tennis Elbow Treated?

Tennis Elbow is typically treated with rest, ice, anti-inflammatory drugs, and progressive strengthening exercises (once the acute symptoms subside).

Elbow straps and topical anti-inflammatory medications can also help with the symptoms.

Can I Lift Weights With Tennis Elbow?

It seems to be ubiquitously agreed that you should rest until the acute pain subsides, but that does not mean sustained rest will improve your symptoms. On the contrary, excessive immobilization makes the condition worse for most people.

My research indicated that once you start to feel like you can lift again, to start with light weights and make sure your form is perfect. Progressively add weight without sacrificing your form. If you ever feel like you're aggravating the injury, stop what you're doing immediately.

These are all pretty commonsensical notions, so I don't think they require further explanation.

My Lifting Strategy

While I'm dealing with this, I'm going to back off my high-intensity training program and fall into a maintenance/general health phase. I need to stay healthy more than I need to get stronger or bigger. The one thing that will destroy my size and strength gains is an extended break because of injury.

I'm going to avoid lifts that require too much forearm or elbow extension. So my triceps work is going to be mixed up somewhat, in addition to my chest workouts. I figure I'll focus on flies and perhaps dumbbell presses if they aren't painful. Since decline bench gave me some trouble, I am going to avoid barbell presses for the time being.

I'm also going to drop biceps and triceps lifts from my workout for now. They'll get plenty of work during back, chest, and shoulder exercises. Typical arm workouts are highlighted as some of the most aggravating for tennis elbow, so I'll avoid them until I'm healthy.

In their stead, I'll add some forearm exercises (when the acute symptoms) are gone, to try and prevent further injuries. I'll also increase my focus on my scapular muscles and rotator cuffs.

I'm going to take a couple more days off to let my body heal, then I'll get back to it. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. i have the same injury i am 50 years old and just benched 315 9 times today ,i know i could get 405 but will have to take it easy as you say and work on scapula and rotators ,i do work out biceps 5 days a week could be a problem . Thanks just one more thing i had this before lump on outside of elbow no pain and one day it was gone ,yaeh, but now its back .All natural beer and meet


    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamie, thank you for your reply. It's pretty rough knowing you're capable of more, but held back by injury.

    I wanted to mention a couple things real quick. Obviously, I'm not a doctor, but I am quite the nerd when it comes to physiology and health. Two things you mentioned concerned me.

    First, I recommend seeing a doctor about the bumps and elbow pain. Those bumps sound awfully similar to rheumatoid nodules, which are a result of rheumatoid arthritis. Unlike ordinary arthritis, the rheumatic version is a degenerative autoimmune disorder that affects the whole body, though most people only notice bilateral joint pain. If you have any other bilateral injuries that cropped up in the same year as the elbow pain, then the likelihood is much higher that this is the case. Just to be safe though, I'd ask your doctor to have you tested.

    And second, working your biceps that often is probably holding back their muscular development. I imagine that you exercise them that frequently because they are a lagging body part? If that's your concern, dial your biceps work back to two times per week and add an FST-7 set at the end (I like cable curls for this). Perform 7 sets of 12-15 reps with only 30-seconds rest between sets. During your rest, flex the shit out of your biceps. You'll get an insane pump that'll expand the fascia that's holding back your biceps growth (strength does not seem like it's your issue).

    Please get checked by your doctor, RA is not something you want to ignore. It's probably just tendonitis, but I would feel stupid not suggesting you do the safe thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had injury off and on for 4 years. Here as of late, I've not really done much lifting, but I'm really trying to figure out ways to get around it. I went to the gym several weeks ago with some friends, and I done more than I normally would working out on my own, but since I had not been in the gym in so long, it was like I was given some new toys to play with and I had to play with all of them. To my surprise, I didn't have as much pain as I thought I would the next day, but I also used 85% machines. I'm debating on getting a membership at that gym just to use those machines, but I've yet to fully decide yet.
    One thing I can also say is to try cutting back your volume of your workouts and really try some good warm ups before you start. I've even heard high reps to get blood flow to the area is fantastic for healing although I've never tried that much.

    Good luck though, I hope both of our injuries get repaired quick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your post, I've got this issue and I think I've really done it this time.
    I stopped lifting on general advice from the internet as I could barely turn the keys in the ignition of my car. Those twisting motions killed me. 8 weeks later I don't have pain at rest, but it doesn't take much use to stir it up e.g. just picking up a bag, or pulling myself into a high vehicle (eg truck) with the grab handle. My sister handed me a jar of pickles to open for her the other day and I couldn't exhert any force on it without pain, I had to hand it to my brother in law (who doesn't even lift...)
    I've also got weakness and numbness in my hand.

    So to all who find themselves reading this article after typing some symptoms into the internet, be careful. It can seriously put you out of action and undo all your work. Rest, use light wights, good form, and have the patience and humility to do this for as long as it takes, like I wish I did.... and like I will if ever my right arm comes good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi "Anonymous," I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but tingling and numbness are not typical side effects of tendonitis (tennis elbow, golfer's elbow, etc.). Typically, tingling and numbness are signs of a nerve issue. You should definitely see a doctor and discontinue lifting until a physician has a chance to diagnose you.

    With tennis elbow, an initial period of rest, followed by light, controlled lifting gets you back. But with nerve-related issues (like it sounds like yours is), you really shouldn't be lifting until the underlying issue is treated.

    Best of luck in your recovery!

    ReplyDelete