Pages

Pain Is Temporary

Pain Is Temporary
Some Inspriation I Found

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Workout Log 9-17-12: Legs

Legs Day

My Workout: 

 

Workout Notes:

Today's workout was INCREDIBLY difficult, in spite of all the red marks ;) 

My weight was down a couple pounds, which was good to see as I got there, but I also felt a little "off" before my workout. Not entirely sure what it was, since I ate pretty normally and drank a ton of water that day. If it happens again, I'll try to figure out what the cause was. 

I started with a little rowing to warm up, then did some dynamic stretching for my lower-back and legs. Leg extensions were probably the only workout that went correctly for me today. I gauged my weight just right to get my working set into the right rep-range. 

Leg press presented a challenge, since the leg press machine at my gym only goes up to 1000lbs. As you can see, I did 15 reps at 1000lbs, so I was well outside the ideal rep range. I'm either going to have to start going to the other gym on leg days or increase the difficulty in another way, possibly by going below parallel or slowing my reps down. But I definitely need to be able to make this lift more difficult. I may also move it to the back of the quadriceps section, which should decrease my strength some on the lift. Next week I'll probably just try to go lower and slower. Then make additional changes when necessary.

Hack squats were challenging as well, but in a different way. I feel like my knees are going to pop when I hit the right depth. It's awkward using a hack squat machine because I don't feel like I can get my feet out in front of me far enough to prevent my knees from poking out over my toes, which is probably why my knees feel like they want to explode as I approach parallel. I'm either going to decrease weight next week and try to go deeper, or find a replacement exercise that I can practice good form with. I do like the concept of using a machine for squats when lifting heavy because you don't need to worry about supporting muscles as much. Perhaps the other gym's hack squat station has a longer platform? I'll check it out. 

Leg curls made it readily apparent that my hamstrings are getting significantly stronger week-over-week. Not only did I increase weight by 20lbs, but I did an extra rep. I'll have to jump up another 20lbs or so next week and hopefully I'll land in the right rep-range. 

I had the same problem on stiff-legged deadlifts as with leg curls, they were a bit too easy. I'll increase weight next week by about 10lbs. 

Calf presses were much easier this week in spite of the massive weight increase. I figured that would happen since my calves have been under-worked recently. They have always been an "overdeveloped" muscle relative to the rest of my body, so I haven't spent much time on them this past year. My rest-pause set was pretty high-rep, so I can still increase weight next week. I was pretty close on the seated calf raise though, so maybe only a 20lb increase there next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment