Pages

Pain Is Temporary

Pain Is Temporary
Some Inspriation I Found

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Working Out While Sick

Is It Okay To Exercise While Sick? 

This is a very common question. In the past month, I've had three different friends ask me if it's okay to work out while they're sick; and if so, what they should do. Unfortunately, it's not a simple answer, so I always respond with a question of my own before answering...

What are your symptoms?

Your symptoms are the most important factor in whether or not you should work out.  There are certain symptoms you should avoid working out with and some that don't present significant risks. The rule of thumb is that it's okay to work out if your symptoms are all "above the neck"... provided you follow a few rules.

Rule 1: Never Exercise With A Fever

Working out with a fever can be dangerous for a couple of reasons. First, it dramatically increases your risk of dehydration, which can cause injuries or even heat stroke. Aside from the effects of dehydration, you also increase your risk for heart failure. It's not a question of how tough you are here, just don't work out with a fever.

Rule 2: Don't Work Out When Your Symptoms Are Below The Neck

Congestion, hacking cough, upset stomach, and body aches are all reasons to stay out of the gym. Exercising with "major symptoms" can prolong your illness or make it much worse.

Rule 3: Listen To Your Body

Obviously listen to your body and don't ever work out if your symptoms are severe, even if they're above the neck, because working out temporarily suppresses your immune system by forcing your body to use resources to rebuild muscle and connective tissue when it should be used to fight off your sickness. However, if your symptoms are light and isolated above the neck, it is generally okay to work out.

Practicing What I Preach

Last Friday I came down with a fever and severe sore throat. By midday Saturday, I also had nasal congestion, body aches, and chills. During that time, it would have been unwise for me to work out because of the fever and body aches, so I got extra rest and took care of my body.

On Sunday, my fever and whole-body symptoms subsided, but I started developing a cough, which kept me out of the gym again. As it turns out, my decision to avoid going to the gym on Sunday was a good one, because Monday my fever, body aches and chills all returned worse than before. I didn't even go to work that day (very rare for me) because I was so ill. I slept and stayed hydrated.

Tuesday morning I felt well enough to go back to work, but still had a fever and severely swollen throat for the first half of the day. Around midday, I began feeling better but didn't want to risk the improvement by going to the gym.

On Wednesday morning I felt much better than on Tuesday and most of my symptoms had subsided by the time I got off work, so I went to the gym. YAY!



No comments:

Post a Comment